Monday, 21 July 2014

Week Four-- Only One More After This One!

Hello, my followers! Oi, don't I sound high and mighty? :D Let me try that again. Hello! Now I shall answer the questions for week four of Actually Finishing Something in July at Katie's blog.

How goes progress?

Pretty well, I hope! I have 11 stories and at least one Author's Note to go! That is... around a story and maybe a half or more a day. I don't like all the decimals the calculator on this computer is giving me. :P


Snippet-time! Share a snippet or two from your weekly writing.

Gladly! Like usual, this is from stuff I've been editing, not necessarily new stuff that I wrote this past week. They're all from West by Train.

“I’m sorry, sir,” she whispered.
*
She closed her eyes, building another layer to her shield against emotion.
*
Mrs. Bruin’s eyes softened and she took Miranda’s hand. “I’m sorry, lass. I didn’t mean to hurt you, But sometimes it is good to let out our feelings.”
Miranda wiped her nose with her sleeve. “I don’t think so. It can be too hurtful.” I have to put my shield back in place. I’ve let too much show.
*
“Do you want to talk about him?”
She shook her head. “No. I have to keep it all in. I have to be strong. I have to.”
Jonathan shook his head as well. “We’re all weak, Mira. Pulling back from showing emotion won’t make you stronger. You should let it all out. I did, and I feel better now. Shouldn't you do the same?”

Do you have a Pinterest inspiration board, or other
collection of images, that inspires your story? If so, share a couple of them with us.

I don't have a Pinterest board, but I have pictures for my characters. At least, for most of them, I think. So, here is how the speaking and at least slightly important characters in West by Train look like. I don't have a picture for my character called Thad, though. :P


This is Miranda, the main character.


Jonathan Grassel, the second most important character and perhaps my favorite. :)


Miranda's pa.



Mrs. Bruin. I imagine her a bit like this and a bit like this.



Charlie.



Peggy Grassel.

Now to go find some pictures that fit my story. I don't know if they will inspire me, and I'm just now looking for them but that's okay, right? :P


This is sort of Miranda, but I don't think I would say she is completely out of control. Just very, very hurt.


This is basically Miranda.


How would the main character of your story react if he or she were introduced to you?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Miranda might be wary of me at first, until I showed whether I would be kind or not. I hope she would think I was kind! :)

Introduce us to one or two of the secondary characters in your story. 

Jonathan. He can be silly, fun and full of energy when he is happy. And even when he isn't, most of the time. Jonathan had horrible memories of the war, and wants so badly to forget. But unlike Miranda, who thinks she needs to shield all emotion form the world, he knows when he needs to let it all out. He doesn't want to hurt others with his pain, but he does let it go out and doesn't keep it all bottled up.

If your main character were allowed to choose a super-power, which power would he or she most desire? 

Miranda would choose the power to be invisible. Perhaps things she wouldn't get hurt as much if no one could see her. It would be easier to bear not being loved by the family who took her in.

We're nearing the end of this summer challenge! Is the completion of your goal in sight?

I hope so! Like I said above, I have 11 stories left, so I hope I can finish!


1 comment:

Molly said...

Oops, I realized now that I did more than two snippets. :P