Saturday, 12 July 2014

Week 2.

Here are Week Two Questions for Katie's Actually Finishing Something in July! Since my goal is finishing editing my HF Short Story collection, I'm not doing that THAT much writing, though I am doing some. Here I go, then!

1) Were you able to reach your weekly goal?  
I don't have a weekly goal; my goal for the whole month is to finish editing. However, maybe I SHOULD make a weekly goal... let me see. Right now I am in the year 1864, and the collections goes up to 1963. So, I still have 99 years to go, though I do NOT have a story in every year. :D So really, I have thirteen more stories to go through, not counting Friend or Foe, (which I'm in right now) and around nineteen days in which to edit them. That's about... a story or so a day, with some wiggle room. Make nineteen days into around four weeks and that gives me a goal of three and a quarter stories a week. That's doable.

BTW, by the time this gets published, all these dates may have changed, so sorry if it's confusing. I never published this earlier, so it's late. :D But I'm too lazy to go and change all the dates in there. :P

2) Is this challenge encouraging you to write more often?
I don't think so. I believe I've been pretty good lately about writing or editing, so I guess not. It's a good challenge to have, though.

3) At what time of the day did you accomplish most of your writing? 
In the afternoons. Mostly after 3:30, I believe.

4) Which musical tracks do you listen to most while writing? 
That is a hard question to answer. I listen to a LOT of music on Pandora, and probably a lot of the time I don't know what I'm listening to. But probably the majority is (or should I be saying are?) Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, Star Trek, and How to Train Your Dragon.

5) Share a descriptive snippet or two of your writing.
I don't think I really have a descriptive snippet to use. Well, let me check again...


He had settled down to sleep in the hollow of a tree about a mile from his house, and was now very near the army camp, so near that as he awoke he could smell smoke from fires drifting on the clean, fresh air. Excitement rushed through him and he clambered out of the hollow and began to run towards the smell. Sounds began to reach his ears; horses nickering, the clink of pans and bayonet tips, the murmur of awakening men. He had really found the army at last!

That's about as good as I can find for right now.

6) Share three dialogue-based snippets from your week one writing.
These will be from the stories I edited this week, not stuff I just wrote this week, though a few bits might be new, I'm not sure. And also, I'm kind of guessing if I was actually editing this part of the story this week. Because when I started the challenge, I was already partly into one of my stories in editing. But anyways, here you are.

“I’ve wanted to fight for so long,” Tim confided. “And now I might get to in just a little while! What’s it like?”
Jeremiah turned to look at him, a strange glint in his eye. “It’s the worst, the most exciting, the scariest, the most thrilling experience you’ll ever get.” Suddenly, a gloom came over his eyes. “But I almost wish I had sent you away back at the creek. You're too young to be in the army. I should have let Colonel Barlow tell you to go back home, that you couldn’t sign up. It’s my fault you’re a soldier now.”


Timothy! Be careful where you put your knees or I’ll report you for violent conduct!” His voice was playful, but Tim noticed a grimace as he stopped the flow of blood trickling from his nose with a handkerchief. “Does it look crooked to you?” Jeremiah consulted Brain, pointing to the injury and talking in an affected buzz.
Brian snickered. “Naw.”
“Sorry, Jeremiah,” Tim grinned, not very apologetically, setting his knees carefully on the ground.



“Home?” scoffed Tim, brushing away the nurse’s calming hands and glass of water. “Home? When I’m better I’m going back to fight!”

“With one leg? You wouldn't get very far, Tim.”
7) How are you going to move forward in this challenge? Are you changing your word-count goal or other plans? 
I'm not changing anything. I'm going to try and do three and a quarter short stories a week like I said earlier.


No comments: