Thursday, 26 June 2014

Plot Bunny First Scene #5.

I need to hurry up with my plot bunnies! I only have three more days not counting Sunday, so that means a plot bunny a day! I need to get cracking!

Here is plot bunny first scene #5, like the title says.

This is a nice ship. I likes ships. :D

“Be careful over there, father!” Charlotte felt her words fade away over the choppy water and her hand fell from the air to smack against her side. “Goodbye...” Michael’s hand touched her shoulder and she leaned her head against his chest, her eyes on the ship moving swiftly away from the dock. “I wish he didn’t have to go. Why must he leave us?”
Michael sighed. “You know, Lottie.”
Charlotte nodded slowly. “Aye. It is his duty.” The words dropped heavily from her mouth, weighed down with lead.
“Ah now, duty isn’t such a bad thing as that.” Michael took her arm and they began walking back along the street. “You make it sound as if he was committing a crime rather than serving the King.”
Charlotte pursed her lips. “It seems a bad thing when it takes him away from his family. ‘Tisn’t as hard for you, Michael! You’re a man. But I shall be so lonely.”
Michael smiled and touched her nose. “You’re not such a little thing. Sixteen is hardly a child anymore.”
“I didn’t say I was a child,” corrected Charlotte, stepping around a puddle.
“Besides,” Michael continued. “Father was working most of the day anyhow, so you didn’t see him that much.”
“During the day. At nights, we would sit on the porch together. You should know, Michael. You were with us. How can you forget so quickly?”
“I know.” Michael stared up at the starry sky. “I suppose I’m just talking like this because I’m afraid I will start missing him myself if I stop.”
Charlotte squeezed his arm. “I’m sorry, Michael. I shouldn’t have been so harsh. We shall have to comfort each other until father returns.”
“Aye. Besides, you have Gerald to keep you from being too sad.” Michael’s eyes were twinkling as he opened the door to the house.
“Michael! You know that Gerald is a close friend for both of us. Don’t talk like that!” Charlotte pressed her lips together, staring at the hem of her dress.
Michael tugged on one of her curls. “A close friend for both of us, eh? I’ll have to remember that if he has to ask me in place of father to start courting you.”
Charlotte slapped his hands and walked into the house. “You can act like such a little child, Michael,” she said scornfully, shaking her hair.

3 comments:

Kiri Liz said...

Lovely snippet, Molly! I really enjoyed it!

Molly said...

Kiri Liz: Thanks!

Bound and Freed said...

This is great.