Thursday, 20 February 2014

Writing Historical Fiction. (Mainly Short Stories.) Part Two.

So, last time I talked about how to start you short story, and today I'm picking up with more of that, and moving forward. I said you need groundwork. So, let's start with that.

So, picking a topic! Well, first of all let me say that in order to write HFSS, you should need to like history at least the tiniest bit. Anyway, the first thing to do is pick a topic. There are so many different people, events and places to choose from!

I would suggest that you go with something you enjoy reading or learning about in history. Now, if you have no interest in history, then I don't think I can help you, and you might want to step back and consider WHY you're planing on writing HF. :P

Some good topics to pick from are listed below, in no particular order.

  • Wars. (These are good to do; plenty of conflict.)
  • A new invention, medicine, idea, etc.
  • Important people: George Washington, King Louis XVI, Nero, Hitler.
  • Something that was debated over: slavery, women's suffrage, temperance.
Those are just a few suggestions. Once you've picked a topic, though, it is time to get down to work. Start out however you want, but as you write, it is a very good idea to have some kind of reference to fall back on. One of the most important things about writing HF is having your facts accurate. This reference may a Wikipedia article, a book form the library, anything that gives you the straight facts about what you're writing.

Historical accuracy is important. One thing I try very hard to keep in my stories is accuracy. Also believability. Things that seem crazy and out of this world may be fun, but in the long, run something that could have actually happened is much more fun.

Finally, when you have your topic, your facts, and an idea of how your story is going to do, what can I say but get writing! :D So, that's all for now, and next post I will talk about the HAD things about writing HF.

Ta-ta for now!


No comments: