Monday, 20 January 2014

A Snippet Story.

If you remember the Chatterbox event I did (which is hosted by Rachel Heffington) a few months ago, well, this snippet story comes before that Chatterbox post. Click here if you want to refresh your memory. :D

“It’s cancer. The doctor says it’s hopeless.” The door slammed behind him, giving harsh emphasis to his words.
“Are... are you sure? Surely there’s some mistake!”
“Naw. It’s some kind of liver cancer, with a fancy name that I can’t remember or pronounce.”
“What are we going to do, Rick?” Kat’s face was pale, but he stepped away from her hopeless gesture.
“Do? There’s nothing to do. It’s no use, Katrina. We’re only fourteen, in case you’ve forgotten. Dad’s dying. He’s there in that stupid hospital in Chicago right now, dying on us.”
“I can’t believe this!”
I can. Easily, too.” He kicked at the desk, wishing he could work out all of his anger on the stupid piece of wood. It was in the way anyway.
“Aren’t you the least bit sorry for him? Don't you care? Rick Monastra, our father is dying! Why don’t you care?”
“I do care, Kat. And that’s just it. I care, and I can’t do anything to save dad..... not anything.” Rick turned his head away; she mustn’t see the tears threatening to spill over and down his cheeks.
“There must be something we could do to help!”
“No. Nothing at all. And that’s why I hurt so badly inside.”
“Oh Rick, I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have yelled. I know it isn't your fault, but I’m just so upset, and I need someone to blame.”
“Well, you picked a good person. It is my fault that dad has cancer.”
What?! Rick, you’re crazy!”
“No. No, Kat, I’m not. I could’ve gotten dad to stop smoking, but I didn't feel like it was worth trying. And now dad’s dying. And it’s all my fault.”
“Rick.... I don’t know what to say...”
“Then please don’t say anything at all. Just leave me alone. Please.”


No comments: