Saturday, 26 October 2013

Character Encounters-- First Time.

Okay, over at Knitted By God's Plan, Kendra has her monthly link up! Click here for more details! This month is kitchens. Here I go!




It is the usual Tuesday afternoon routine; making dinner for my family. I measure out the eggs and dump in the sticky lump of cream cheese, two ingredients for making salsa corn cakes. After putting in the rest of the ingredients, I start the mixer and start drying dishes.

As I turn from the drainboard, carrying a stack of plates, a small, brown-haired girl confronts me, perched on the edge of the counter, her mouth set in a resolute line.

Annie.

I set down the plates and put my hands on my hips. "Annabelle Reginald, get off that counter immediately! You know better!"

She gives me a sulky look, but slides down to the floor. "You do it all the time."

I pause, confronted by the truth. "True," I finally say, "but this is my house." I sweep by her, trying to think of something else to say.

She doesn't say anything, only follows me around the kitchen, her steady eyes boring holes into my back. I set down the last plate and turn to her. "Annieo, what is it? What's wrong?"

But I don't need to ask. I know. It's Jacob. His drafting. My eyes soften and I pull her into a hug. She collapses into my arms and and I can do nothing but hold her close.

"Oh Molly," she sobs, trembling against me, "I'm so afraid for him!"

"I know," I whisper softly.

She lifts a tear-stained face to me, her eyes flashing. "You know what I want to do, right?"

I nod. "Yes."

"I want to stop loving him. I want to with all my might. But one part of me doesn't want to atop loving him. And he doesn't want me to either."

"Annie," I say slowly, taking her face her my hands. "You can't stop loving your brother. Like he said, it isn't right!"

Her eyes fill again. "But what if-- if he gets killed like daddy and Uncle Frank? I don't want to get hurt like that again! Oh Molly, if he goes off to the war and gets killed, I could never bare it! I can't bare to even think about it!" She bursts into tears again, gripping my shirt with her fingers.

I stroke her hair, my throat getting choky and my own eyes filling. Then I lift her face to look at me again. "Look at me, Annie," I say firmly.

She obeys.

"Jacob needs you to be strong for him. Think about how he feels This isn't any easier for him, you know. You need to be brave for his sake."

She smiles shakily. "I know Molly. But it's so hard!"

I nod, and kiss her forehead. "I know, Annie, I know. But don't worry. Keep praying, and you'll see how things will go in the end."

She smiles and wipes her eyes, her old spark of mischief coming back into her eyes. "Okay. I'll be brave. But only if you start working on our story again soon!"

"I've been busy!" I protest.

She raises an eyebrow and shakes her head. "Start working!"

"Slave master," I say teasingly, then hold out my hand. "It's a deal."

2 comments:

Kendra E. Ardnek said...

She sounds like such a dear. I hope her brother survives the war!

Thanks for taking part in my character encounters!

Molly said...

Kendra: Oh, you're welcome! It was a lot of fun! :D